Senzer faced a unique set of challenges despite their position as a ‘social’ organization with a focus on inclusivity. While prioritizing efficiency and cost-effectiveness, they also employed individuals with varying degrees of physical, mental, or language limitations. This presented challenges in task design, often requiring tasks to be as simple as possible with a maximum takt time of 60 seconds. Extensive quality controls were integrated into the workflow to ensure product quality, and a high frequency of line manager interventions were necessitated due to errors related to screws, leading to rework or scrap.
Arkite Platform Application
To address these complex challenges, Senzer embraced Arkite’s Operator Guidance Platform for their Maxi-Cosi Rubi assembly.The platform’s application encompassed the following key aspects:
- Picking and Assembly Guidance: The Arkite Platform provided real-time visual guidance to operators on their workstations, ensuring correct assembly procedures for the Maxi-Cosi Rubi car seats.
- Smart Tooling Integration: The platform integrated with smart tooling, specifically Atlas Copco, to ensure the correct sequence, presence, and torque for all screws. This prevented assembly errors, thus maintaining product quality.
- HIM and Interlock Integration: The assembly process was set up to initiate only when the product was mechanically locked in the fixture, reducing the possibility of errors during the process.
- Rework and Scrap Procedures: The Arkite Platform incorporated a well-defined rework or scrap procedure, based on the type of screw mistake encountered during assembly.
- Skill Enhancement: The platform played a pivotal role in elevating the skill set of employees. Individuals could now perform different, more complex tasks than before, enhancing their multi-employability.
- Project Setup: The implementation consisted of one HIM (Human Interface Mate) and one projector, enabling precise projection of guidance instructions and interactive visual cues.
The implementation of Arkite’s Operator Guidance Platform yielded substantial benefits for Senzer and their collaboration with Dorel Juvenile:
- Rework and Scrap Elimination: By providing real-time guidance and integrating with smart tooling, the platform effectively eliminated rework, scrap, and faulty products. The reduction in errors translated to significant cost savings and improved product quality.
- Reduced Training Time and Increased Operator Skill: The comprehensive guidance offered by the platform empowered employees to undertake more complex tasks, leading to a reduction in training time and an increase in the multi-employability of operators.
- Efficiency Gain and Workstation Optimization: The reduction in takt time brought about by the platform resulted in enhanced line efficiency. This optimization allowed for the consolidation of five workstations into three, streamlining operations and improving overall productivity.
Arkite’s Operator Guidance Platform, seamlessly integrated into Senzer’s Maxi-Cosi Rubi assembly process, yielded remarkable results. The platform’s ability to provide real-time guidance, prevent errors, and elevate operator skills led to the elimination of rework, cost savings, and increased operational efficiency. Senzer’s dedication to inclusivity and efficiency was further strengthened through their collaboration with Arkite, ultimately enhancing their partnership with Dorel Juvenile and their reputation as a trusted producer of high-quality juvenile products.