WCA-Alro faced several challenges in their bumper/stossfanger assembly process, which required attention to ensure accuracy, efficiency, and quality. The key problems identified were:
1. Drilling Location Variations: The drilling location of license plate holes varied depending on the target market (US, EU, JPN), adding complexity to the assembly process.
2. Multiple Product Variants: The combination of different markets, sensors, grills, and other components resulted in a multitude of product variants. Managing and executing the assembly correctly for each variant proved challenging.
3. Component Picking and Placement: The assembly process involved the correct picking and placement of numerous components, increasing the risk of errors and inconsistencies.
4. Meaningless Process Confirmation: The customer required a physical checklist for process confirmation, which added unnecessary time and effort without providing valuable insights.
Arkite Platform Application:
To address these challenges, WCA-Alro implemented Arkite’s Operator Guidance Platform, commonly known as the Arkite Platform, at their bumper/stossfanger assembly facility in Genk. The Arkite Platform was deployed with the following key features and implementation details:
1. Complete Process Guidance: The Arkite Platform provided comprehensive guidance for all assembly workstations, covering the entire process, including component picking, assembly steps, and tooling requirements. Operators received real-time visual instructions and alerts to ensure accurate execution.
2. Communication with PC and Internal Network: The Arkite Platform seamlessly integrated with the facility’s PC and internal network, enabling efficient planning and checklist confirmation. This streamlined communication between operators and the system, ensuring accurate tracking of tasks and process completion.
3. Project Setup: The implementation involved two sensors and two projectors, allowing precise projection of guidance instructions onto the workstations, facilitating accurate component picking, assembly, and tooling.
The implementation of Arkite’s Operator Guidance Platform at WCA-Alro’s bumper/stossfanger assembly facility yielded significant improvements and benefits:
1. Elimination of Errors: The Arkite Platform played a crucial role in eliminating drilling, picking, and assembly errors. By providing real-time visual guidance and alerts, operators performed tasks accurately, resulting in improved assembly quality and consistency.
2. Reduction in Rework and Scrap: Human errors, such as incorrect picking and assembly, often led to rework and scrap. With the guidance provided by the Arkite Platform, WCA-Alro observed a reduction in rework and scrap caused by human error, saving time, effort, and resources.
3. Reduction in Faulty Products: The improved accuracy and consistency achieved through the Arkite Platform translated into a reduction in faulty products delivered to customers. The elimination of errors in drilling, picking, and assembly ensured that the finished products met the desired specifications, enhancing customer satisfaction.
4. Automated Checklist Confirmation: The Arkite Platform automated the checklist confirmation process after the completion of each assembly task. This eliminated the need for a physical checklist, streamlining the process and reducing unnecessary administrative tasks, while still ensuring process compliance.
WCA-Alro’s partnership with Arkite and the implementation of the Operator Guidance Platform at their Genk facility significantly improved accuracy, efficiency, and product quality in the bumper/stossfanger assembly process. The Arkite Platform’s ability to provide complete process guidance, eliminate errors, and automate checklist confirmation streamlined operations and reduced rework and scrap. By leveraging Arkite’s advanced