Webasto faced several challenges in their rooftop assembly process, which required attention to ensure quality, safety, and operational efficiency. The key problems identified were:
- Multiple Product Variants: With a wide range of product variants, each requiring specific assembly steps, Webasto encountered complexities in managing the high diversity of their assembly process.
- High Rotation between Product Variants: The frequent transition between different product variants added to the complexity of the assembly process, requiring quick adaptation and accurate execution to avoid errors.
- Human Error and Safety Concerns: The risk of human error, especially in critical sequences like priming, posed a threat to the overall quality and safety of the finished products.
Arkite Platform Application:
To address these challenges, Webasto implemented Arkite’s Operator Guidance Platform, known as the Arkite Platform, at their rooftop assembly facility in Utting am Ammersee. The Arkite Platform was deployed with the following key features and implementation details:
- Communication with PLC: The Arkite Platform established seamless communication with the Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) at the start-up phase. This allowed for the automatic identification and definition of the product type, ensuring the guidance provided aligned with the specific assembly requirements.
- Guidance and Monitoring: The Arkite Platform provided real-time guidance and monitoring for all assembly operations. Operators received visual instructions and alerts throughout the assembly process, ensuring they followed the correct sequence and performed tasks accurately.
- Specific Priming Process Guidance: The critical priming process, including its sequence and location, received special attention through the Arkite Platform. Operators were guided precisely on each step, minimizing the risk of missing any essential operations that could impact the quality and safety of the finished products.
- Project Setup: The implementation involved one sensor and one projector, enabling precise projection of guidance instructions onto the work area.
The implementation of Arkite’s Operator Guidance Platform at Webasto’s rooftop assembly facility delivered significant improvements and benefits:
- Complete Guidance of Operations: The Arkite Platform provided comprehensive guidance throughout the assembly process, ensuring that operators executed tasks accurately and in the correct sequence. This resulted in a reduction in errors and improved overall quality and consistency of the finished products.
- Reduced Faulty Finished Products: By minimizing human errors and guiding operators through critical processes like priming, Webasto observed a notable reduction in faulty finished products. The visual guidance and real-time monitoring offered by the Arkite Platform contributed to a more reliable assembly process and improved product quality.
- Reduced Training Efforts: The intuitive and user-friendly nature of the Arkite Platform reduced the training efforts required for new operators. The visual instructions and real-time guidance enabled operators to quickly understand and execute their tasks correctly, reducing the onboarding time and ensuring consistent performance across the workforce.
Webasto’s partnership with Arkite and the implementation of the Operator Guidance Platform at their Utting am Ammersee facility resulted in significant improvements in efficiency, quality, and safety within the rooftop assembly process. The Arkite Platform’s ability to provide comprehensive guidance, minimize human errors, and enhance training efforts contributed to a more streamlined and reliable assembly process. By leveraging Arkite’s innovative technology, Webasto reaffirmed its commitment to excellence, ensuring the production of high-quality automotive systems while maintaining a safe.