CNH Industrial encountered several challenges in their combine rotor assembly process, which required precise execution and adherence to specific screw sequences and torque programs. The key problems identified were:
1. Multiple Product Variants: The combine rotor assembly involved two product variants, each requiring a distinct combination of 72 screws with a critical screw sequence and four different torque programs. Errors in screw placement, sequence, or torque had significant implications for the operational efficiency and performance of the combine rotor.
2. Operational Error Detection: Errors in screw placement or torque were often only detected when the product became operational, resulting in costly rework and product inefficiencies. It was crucial to detect and rectify errors early in the assembly process to minimize costs and ensure optimal performance.
3. Employee Rotation: The rotation of employees at workstations added an additional layer of complexity. It was essential to ensure consistent and accurate assembly execution despite changes in personnel.
Arkite Platform Application:
To address these challenges, CNH Industrial implemented Arkite’s Operator Guidance Platform, widely known as the Arkite Platform, at their combine rotor assembly facility in Zedelgem. The Arkite Platform was deployed with the following key features and implementation details:
1. Sequence Guidance and Tool Disabling: The Arkite Platform provided operators with real-time visual guidance, ensuring the correct sequence of screw placement. It also included a tool disabling feature, preventing sequence errors by disabling tools until the correct sequence was followed. This feature enhanced accuracy and eliminated errors related to screw placement order.
2. Communication with Tooling: The Arkite Platform seamlessly communicated with the tooling system, ensuring the correct torque was applied to the screws at the designated locations. This integration enabled precise torque execution, minimizing errors caused by incorrect torque application.
3. Project Setup: The implementation involved one sensor and one projector, enabling accurate projection of guidance instructions onto the workstation.
The implementation of Arkite’s Operator Guidance Platform at CNH Industrial’s combine rotor assembly facility yielded significant improvements and achievements:
1. Elimination of Faulty Products: The Arkite Platform played a crucial role in eliminating faulty products resulting from errors in screw placement, sequence, or torque. By providing real-time visual guidance and tool disabling, operators followed the correct sequence and applied the appropriate torque, resulting in error-free assembly and improved product quality.
2. Global Gold WCM Award: The successful integration of the Arkite Platform into the combine rotor assembly process earned CNH Industrial the prestigious Global Gold WCM (World Class Manufacturing) Award for Best Practice in 2017. This recognition highlighted the exceptional results achieved through the implementation of the Arkite Platform, solidifying CNH Industrial’s commitment to operational excellence.
3. Cost Reduction: By eliminating errors early in the assembly process, CNH Industrial significantly reduced the cost associated with rework, product inefficiencies, and operational disruptions. The error-free assembly facilitated optimal combine rotor performance, resulting in increased operational efficiency and customer satisfaction.
CNH Industrial’s partnership with Arkite and the implementation of the Operator Guidance Platform at their Zedelgem facility revolutionized the combine rotor assembly process. The Arkite Platform’s advanced features, including sequence guidance, tool disabling, and tooling communication, eliminated errors, ensured accurate screw placement and torque, and improved overall product quality. The elimination of faulty products, cost reductions, and the prestigious Global Gold